Main Course: Turkey with Clementine & Bay Butter
Wow your guests and deliver the perfect Christmas table centrepiece – if prepared correctly, your turkey will provide you with a lean source of protein without losing any of its succulence or flavour. Give this fruity turkey recipe a go… opting for a low-fat butter will help to keep the unnecessary calories to a minimum.
Follow this recipe from from BBC GoodFood!
⏱ Preparation: 25 min; cooking: 3-4 hours (depending on size of turkey); total: 1-2 days
What you’ll need:
- 5-5 ½kg Turkey (giblets and neck removed and saved)
- 1 Onion (halved)
- 5 Bay Leaves (torn)
- 1tsp Black Peppercorn
- 85g Sea Salt
- 1 Orange (zest)
- 100g Low-Fat Butter
- 1 Clementine (zest and juice)
- 1 Thyme Sprig
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4tbsp Flour
- 250ml Dry Sherry
How to prepare:
1. Salt turkey (1-2 days prior).
2. Mix bay leaves, salt, peppercorn and orange zest together – making a wet salt.
3. Place turkey into roasting tin (breast up) and season with salt mix.
4. Leave in fridge for 2 days.
5. Mix butter, clementine juice/zest, sherry, bay leaves and thyme in a bowl to make butter (1-2 days prior).
6. Heat oven 180c. Cooking time: 40mins per kg for first 4kg, 45mins per kg after that.
7. Rub the turkey with most of the butter. Add the turkey neck to the tin with the onion. Cover the tin loosely with foil and roast for the calculated cooking time. For the final 30mins, remove the foil, baste the turkey, scatter with the left over thyme and orange zest – increase the oven temp to 200C.
8. (Put stuffing into tin if desired).
9. Remove turkey from oven and cover with foil until it is served.
Christmas can be a difficult time to remain healthy with so much temptation around, so try following these recipes to keep your Christmas menu as mouthwatering as it is good for you. Don’t forget to check your GreenJinn App for relevant coupons to pick up quality ingredients for less!